Friday, April 5, 2013

"Some days are diamonds, some days are stone" John Denver

Yesterday was a stone in many ways. Class gets out, I print some stuff load up my backpack, hit the bathroom (because you should always go to the bathroom before getting in the car, mama said!). Pick up my backpack to leave and my butt suddenly feels wet. Shit. I put my water bottle in there and guess what? Somehow no one came in the bathroom to witness me frantically unloading everything and trying to dry the inside with paper towels then realizing it would be more effective to just dump out the puddle that was in the bottom. I was grateful to not have to explain. Books, papers, binder, everything is wet. So I stack some paper towels between the books and papers, pick up my wet bag and head out. Throw it in the trunk. I am out of here. Here's what the drying out process looked like. The books are still drying.


So, I am backing out, I look around, all clear, start to back up, I am about half way out and hear honk! Look back, just as I am about to hit someone who I SWEAR was not there when I started. I am pretty sure it was someone who just thinks they are special and if they are coming everyone needs to get out of their way. But, I pull in, let them go by and then proceed. I meander out of the parking lot and apparently I have forgotten there is a stop sign coming up so that same car stops at it surprising me (though it was rather abrupt I am going to say, because I am trying really hard to blame all of this on them) I may have looked away for like a SECOND…maybe…slam on my breaks and avoid possibly hitting them for the second time today. Obviously these people should stay far, far away from me.
Run home, eat, feed dog, sneak in 15 minutes of homework…gotta run, dentist appointment, grab my drink throw it in my purse (are you starting to get an idea of what’s coming here?). Get in car, go to reach for something. Oh yes, I did it again. Luckily not to the degree I drenched my backpack, which is good because my purse is significantly smaller, you know, just a silly cell phone in there. Plus it just happened to be Pepsi, so, you know, slightly sticky upon drying. Pepsi is my nemesis. I keep trying to quit it, I keep failing.
My brain wants to reach for some deep message the universe is trying to send to me, but all I can really come up with is quite obviously, I need to pay more attention to what the hell I am doing, or stop putting drinks in my bags. One or the other. Ah, well, roll with the punches sometimes right?
But, the universe gives back too, because the day before I received an e-mail saying I had been chosen to receive a scholarship that I had applied for through Tacoma General Hospital's Legacy Scholarship, and it’s the first time I have applied for scholarships so I was delighted! I totally convinced strangers I was worthy of their money! I applied for like 16 other ones, so here’s hoping a few more come through. And today I got to spend four hours playing with needles and syringes and fake medicines and learning how to poke the likes of you in my future job! So much fun!  
But this is really supposed to be about the whole exercise thing so let’s get to that. So, holy mother of sore muscles! Now, as much as I enjoyed the trainer, it really was too much. I know this because I was unable to walk normal after it until yesterday. Sitting on the toilet required the use of my arms to lower me down and significant grunting to get up. As well as a lot of other grunting every time I had to get up or down, or move. I tried Ben Gay, it didn't really help but I smelled very minty! I definitely served as a source of amusement for those around me, and I would like to say you’re welcome, I am glad my misery amused you. But, exercise needn’t put you out of commission for days to be effective, so I will attempt to not replicate that again. It was quite annoying, but it didn’t stop me. While there was no way I was going to manage a lunge or any yoga poses, I did hit the treadmill both days and kept on track with my 5k program. And by the way, the time flies when you are doing intervals, the program I am doing you start with a 5 minute walk to warm up then 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking. You're done before you know it and you can do anything for 60 seconds at a time right? I am looking forward to being ready for the next step. Yesterday I was finally able to try out Jillian (I ended up buying her ripped in 30 because it is a little newer and has 4 workouts). My muscles felt so much better after, and in a very short period of time I got a great workout. I was a little worried about Greg walking in while I was doing the running man move because I know I looked like a spaz, but he already loves me for being kind of a spaz anyway, so I guess I should get over that. Today I am just the right amount of sore to let me know I worked out without making me feel like I couldn’t do it again. Oh, and Jillian says 5-6 days a week, because you need a day of rest, and so did God, so I figure 6 days will do.
So get your time in, and rest like God and Jillian says you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment